The best luxury boutique hotels in the world can be of different types and categories. In theory, it is possible to breakdown the top hotel types by their size, the number of rooms, or their location. However, equally as crucial is the hotels’ levels of service, what kinds of facilities and amenities they provide, and if they may have additional hospitality affiliations. For example, spas in luxury hotels or chain hotel affiliates may have specific rules, policies, and procedures to restrict a particular type of activity during your stay. Otherwise, independent hotels, for example, family-owned properties, do not hold ownership or management affiliation with other hotel properties.
Top Luxury Hotels
In considering all hotel types, they can be presented and categorized as Bed & Breakfast/ Homestays hotels, suites hotels, extended stay hotels, vacation rentals/ timeshare, residential hotels, serviced apartment, resort hotels, business hotels, airport hotels, casino hotels, convention and conference centers around the globe. For this purpose, our NorthStar site makes searching simple and straightforward by presenting the following hotel types:
As an aid to identify hotels’ level of service, as you may have heard, the best hotels are rated by a certain number of stars. This type of classification has a range/ level from 1 to 5. One is on the lowest level of the scale and five is the highest rating based on hotels’ hospitality, service delivery, cleanliness, design, and maintenance. Typically, five-star hotels are often considered to be luxury hotels. Four-star hotels are above average/ deluxe service hotels. Three-star hotels are believed to be mid-range service hotels. Two-star hotels provide basic necessities in addition to some comfort qualities. And, the one star-rated hotels are like budget or limited-service hotels. It goes without saying, various organizations may award hotels differently across the globe. Regardless of who is giving the rating, hotels must be worthy of receiving their star categorization.
There are many reasons to love Virtuoso properties, believe or not, and there are well over 1,000 Virtuoso properties worldwide. For example, Luxury Hotels should give clients a sense of place, have a recognizable location, be smart technology, provide exclusive access, have pools or areas to make a splash, give Robes, Minibars, Pet Thermal Baths, and so much more benefits such as Virtuoso Amenities!
Find your own reason on our Virtuoso blog: 50 Reasons We Love Hotels.
NorthStar Virtuoso travel advisers secure hotel perks that range from spa and dining credits to suite upgrades, limo transfers, daily breakfast, favorable rates, and more. NorthStar clients benefit from ten complimentary experiences that you may miss by making reservations on your own:
- Wine and cheese tasting at Palacio Duhau – Park Hyatt Buenos Aires’ Vinoteca.
- Cupping (coffee tasting) at Costa Rica’s El Silencio Lodge & Spa.
- Taking a hands-on Fijian cooking lesson at Dolphin Island.
- Riding Blancaneaux Lodge’s horses through the Jaguar Jungle to Big Rock Falls in Belize.
- Making pizza at Tuscany’s Hotel Castello di Casole.
- Exploring the countryside of the French Alps on a horse-drawn carriage ride at Alpaga Megève.
- Pairing house-made chocolates with a bottle of Dom Pérignon at Vermont’s Twin Farms.
- Road-tripping through Ireland’s Kenmare area in Sheen Falls Lodge’s 1936 Buick Roadmaster convertible.
- Playing Australian castaway at One&Only Hayman Island: The resort’s boat will drop you off on a nearby sandspit or reef with a mask and snorkel.
Choose your hotel Vibe, Room Style, Experiences
Top hotels and spas in luxury hotels known for their wellness program, aka wellness hotels, bar and restaurant experiences, and more for Virtuoso’s 13th annual hotel awards, based on Virtuoso advisers’ votes are:
- Hotel of the Year: Four Seasons Hotel George V
- Best Achievement in Design: Rosewood Hong Kong
- Best Bar: Le Sirenuse Champagne Bar at Four Seasons Hotel at The Surf Club
- Best Dining Experience: Restaurant Le Gabriel at La Réserve Paris Hotel and Spa
- Best Wellness Program: Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa
- Best Virtuoso Newcomer: Montage Los Cabos
- Sustainable Tourism Leadership: Emirates One&Only Wolgan Valley
- Best Family Program: Grand Velas Riviera Maya
- Hotelier of the Year: Amanda Hyndman, Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London
This article first appeared in the
September 2019 issue of Virtuoso Life
- The cure for cabin fever – Enjoy additional credits with a three-night stay
Imagine secluded stretches of palm lined beaches, sparkling turquoise waters, and everything from surfing lessons to spa treatments all steps from your suite. Reserve your stay for a minimum of three nights by October 31, and you’ll receive an additional $200 credit to spend at the spa, the boathouse, or in the St. Regis Bar, where outdoor deck and portico seating enjoys fresh ocean air, peerless azure vistas, and the signature Champagne sabering ritual. What are you waiting for to Live Exquisite?
From complimentary upgrades and resort credits to alfresco breakfasts, your Northstar Travel Advisor has you covered (as if you needed a reason to stay longer on Puerto Rico’s gorgeous Bahia Beach). . Featured offer >>>
- Boston or Sonoma? – A closer-to-home escape that’s far from ordinary
From Sonoma to Boston – Fairmont offers stateside stays from coast to coast. Handcrafted cocktails? Alfresco dinners? Marble-clad bathrooms? Yes, yes, and yes. Get away to Fairmont Copley Plaza or Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa with every luxury, plus Virtuoso exclusives from breakfast daily and flexible check-in and checkout times to $100 resort credit – as well as an additional $100 credit in Sonoma and a double upgrade in Boston.
Whether you’re in the mood for world-class vineyards or sites steeped in history, Fairmont hotels have you covered. Spend your days sipping wine, following the Freedom Trail, or savoring farm-to-table cuisine before heading back to your well-appointed room or suite. Featured offer >>>
- Your Ticket to More Zen Moments – Get away with peace of mind, plus a free night
Relax and recharge even longer with a complimentary fourth night and $100 nightly resort credit for stays at Miraval Austin through 2021. Plus, receive exclusive amenities ranging from a free upgrade and flexible check-in and checkout times to daily breakfast for two, simply for booking through your Northstar Virtuoso travel advisor.
Discover a getaway that’s long overdue. Surrounded by the lush Balcones Canyonlands Preserve just outside of Austin, Texas, you’ll be treated to an award-winning world of wellness, fitness, nature, and sustainable living. Consider it your sanctuary for getting back to your best self. As a Northstar Virtuoso guest, you’ll also receive a complimentary upgrade, daily breakfast for two, an exclusive welcome gift, and more. Featured offer >>>
Hotels By Destination
- Tokyo | From sumo practices to tea ceremonies, Tokyo is tops for family travel
- Rosewood Baha Mar | Return to the Islands, We’ve Been Expecting You
- The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort | Three ways to vacation on Mexico’s Riviera Nayarit
- Pleasant Holidays | Vacation packages in Maui, Mexico & Aruba
- Travel Impressions | Kids stay free on four-night getaways in Cancun and the Dominican Republic
- U.S. Virgin Islands | Family fun in the sun & rich learning opportunities in the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Wymara Resort and Villas | Up to 15% Off Villas Chic retreat in the Turks & Caicos
- Belmond Las Casitas – Upgrade Offer
- Palacio del Inka, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Cusco – Free Night
- Sol y Luna – Free Night
- SUMAQ Machu Picchu Hotel – Semiflexible Rates
- Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel
- Country Club Lima Hotel – Special Upgrade
- Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park, London and Paris | Family fun in London & Paris: 2nd room half price + kids eat free
- Hotel Kämp in Helsinki (Turku Ja Pori) Finland is like a celebrity in the Finnish hotel business.
- ACQUALINA | Resort & Residences on the Beach
- Los Cabos | Paradise Within Reach
- Eau Palm Beach Resort and Spa | Breezy getaway in pretty Palm Beach
- Hotel del Coronado | Surf, Sand, Sun & S’mores
- Carmel Valley Ranch | More Time for Fun
- The Resort at Pelican Hill | Italian charm on the California Coast
- Norwegian Cruise Line® | Explore the Last Frontier next year on family-friendly cruises big on adventure
- Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts | Los Cabos, Orlando & Vail
- Park Hyatt Aviara Resort | A New Era of Luxury Awaits
- The Lodge at Blue Sky | Mountain Classroom, Distance education on vacation
- SKI.COM | Hit the slopes with family ski trips in Utah and Colorado